Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Halloween Banner


Halloween Banner for the ladies in the office at Eatonville High School. Love those ladies.

Ok the picture turned out fuzzy. I didn't load these until my son, Jesse, took the gift to school, so were stuck with it. But I have some close-ups that turned out a little better. 



How to make it:
  1. Using your Cricket or punches or whatever you have available make 21 black 3" frames. I used my Cricket, Living Simply cartridge. 
  2. Cut out or use your Cricket to save time 19 2 1/2" rectangles in different patterns. I used 5 different patterns. Stay in the same color theme. Mine was orange, black, purple and green.
  3. Glue the rectangles unto the black frames.
  4. Using a shimmery silver paper I cut 1 1/2" squares for all the constants and approximately  1 1/2" square/rectangle of corrugated cardboard for the vowels. 7 vowels 12 constants.
  5. If you have chipboard letters your one step ahead if you don't use your Cricket and cut out different fonts the sizes between 1 1/2" and 1 3/4". The banner reads, "Happy All Hallows' Eve"
  6. Lay out your letters. To get the same effect that I did vary your letters so that every 4th letter is the same. Example: 1st letter is flocked in purple, 2nd letter has a crayon melted unto it in bright orange, 3rd letter has a crayon melted unto it in lime green, 4th letter has black glitter on it. Then repeat. 
  7. Melted crayon technique: 
    1. Take the crayon that you will be using, 1 crayon did all the letters needed for 1 color, peel off the paper.
    2. Place some paper or paper bag on your work surface. 
    3. Using an iron, I use a small iron used by quilters it's about 1 1/4" triangle, set it on medium, carefully melt the crayon over the chipboard/cardboard. It will melt fast so don't stay in one place to long. Once you have covered your chipboard use the iron to melt/move the wax around till you have a somewhat smooth surface. 
    4. I will put a video on later showing my melted crayon technique. 
  8. Glitter and flock the remaining letters. 
  9. Using fast drying tacky glue, glue all the letters to either the corrugated cardboard or the shimmering silver paper. Remember vowels go on cardboard and constants go on silver.
  10. Alternating your black frames with decorative paper tape/glue on your letters, I tilted mine different ways to add interest. SEE Picture above for reference.
  11. Now for the Owls and Pumpkin. 
    1. The Owls were made using chipboard (Stamp'n Up) and decorative paper. 
      1. Glue decorative paper to your chipboard owl. Let dry overnight.
      2. Carefully cut around owl, cutting out the eyes and beak as well.
      3. Using tacky glue and a small paint brush add glue around the outer edge of the owl and also add glue to the beak and eyes.
      4. Using your black glitter sprinkle it all over. Knock off excess and let dry.
      5. Add right onto 1 of 2 black frames with tacky glue repeat with the second one.
      6. Using 4 small hearts for wings I flocked them in black. Let dry then glue onto the owl with tacky glue.
    2. The Pumpkin was made from a punch I have, If you don't have a punch free hand it. 
      1. Add googly eyes and a mouth.
      2. Punch a whole in the top and add a piece of twine.
      3. Glue it to 1 piece of corrugated cardboard.
      4. Glue that to one piece of decorative paper.
  12. Now all of your frames are almost done. We still have to add some bling. Add googly eyes, metallic confetti, and gems. Dazzle them up. (again sorry my pics are blurry) I added purple eyes to the owls and a purple bow tie. To keep the look cohesive bling out your frames with the same decorative paper the same way. 


Almost done. Using a small whole punch, punch out whole for the cord. I used a bent piece of wire to help thread my cord. Leave about 10" of cord for hanging on each side. Tie a knot 10" down the cord, thread through the front and come up through the back tie anther knot to keep it in place. continue till you get to the pumpkin leaving a 10" cord tail at the end. Continue withe the rest of the frames to the end. Your done. 

I have not written very many tutorials, if you have questions, which I'm sure you do, please use the comment space to ask me to explain anything further. This will not only help you with the project but help me become a better teacher. Thanks. I hope you like my projects. And yes I will be asking Santa for a new digital camera this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment